Thursday, April 5, 2012

For Julia



Alone, Yet Not

I walk alone into this dark of night,
Along these city streets-
A friend not found in staring down-
The walls of my grieving heart.

A heart that aches,
A heart that's bound-
As if captive to
This dark, this night.

My heavy heart yearning to know-
What measures one must go,
To find the light,
To find some peace,
To find this soul's release.

The pavement cracked and worn,
Like my aching, fragile soul-
Such a state of disrepair.

So many questions inside of me.
What do I say to this empty soul?
Again, now at the end,
Of another lonely day.

Who am I?
What plan have I?
To wander all these days and nights,
Caught up in city lights.

I stop by the church along the way,
A sweet melody from within,
Beckons me to stay-

A welcome reprieve-
From the haunting sound
of my solitary steps,
and so I stop and rest.

The stained glass glowing
brightly into this night-
A reflection of a shepherd man,
He holds a young lamb tight.

I look into the shepherds face-
a picture of long ago-
I see the lamb resting against his chest-
A story much deeper than
stained glass does hold.

My night of sorrow softens slightly.
I sigh... my buried heart of grief
Feels lighter as I recall-
A memory from days gone by.

"The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want,
He makes me lie down
In green pastures,
And leads me by still waters."

Yes, I remember I cry...

"He restore my soul,
He walks with me
Through this valley,
In this shadow of death. "


I know it's true,
No need to fear.
The church bell rings,
The children sing.
The shepherd of my soul is here.


My recent grief,
This heavy heart
Overwhelming at the start-
Now at the end removed.


I know now.. my father recently departed,
Taken from our sight,
One sad, dark night-
Does not rest alone in the unknown.

He is in the shepherd's care,
Held close, against his chest.
Right by His heart.

I stand to go, but pause to listen-
The children sing their last refrain...

"Jesus loves me this I know,
For the Bible tells me so."

And so I know-

Walking home I find this dark of night
Now has a light- it glows, within my soul.
My answer given-
Keep on living,
Do not let go-

For Jesus loves me so.

I walk alone, yet not.


No comments:

Post a Comment