Sunday, July 10, 2011

Pause

 

Yesterday my husband said something to me that hurt my feeling's. He turned to me and said, "Would you just pause for a moment?" He was a bit frustrated with my habit of jumping in with suggestions on how he should do something. I thought I was being helpful (thus the hurt feelings), but instead I was being inconsiderate.

Later that day I was thinking about this habit I have of speaking before thinking. I considered the word pause and what it would look like if I took the time to stop and wait before making a judgement, correction, or rendering even well intended advice.

I had to admit to myself that this is an area in which I could use God's wisdom and instruction. I thought how often God tells us to be still, and rest in him- trust him to do the work that is his to do, and for me to just be quiet.
.
Consider Psalm 46:10-  "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth".  
     
The "be still", means in Hebrew translation- to let go, release, surrender. Webster's dictionary defines the word pause as a temporary stop, or rest- as in music. Both mean to give in to something (time/God).

My husband wanted something more than for me to stop talking- he wanted me to recognize that he had everything under control. I need to just rest (pause) and let him take the lead. God deserves the same respect and recognition. "Trust me" he is saying , or simply put- hit the button and...


 let go (pause) and let God.(rest).



No comments:

Post a Comment