Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Seasons


Life is hard. It can get you down. If you fail to realize the absolute necessity of taking time to work, rest, play, love, laugh; and instead all you do is work, you will experience burn out. 


I used to be a very serious minded person who felt the need to manage, control, dictate and perfect my every experience- and everyone else around me. 


As a result of years of that routine, I can tell you what happens- you will burn out, lose your self, and quite possibly the people you love- at least for a season. 


The Bible speaks very clearly to the seasons of a person's life- Listen and take this wise instruction.


Ecclesiastes 3
A Time for Everything
 1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
 2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,
 3 a time to kill and a time to heal,a time to tear down and a time to build,
 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,
 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
 6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,
 7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,
 8 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.
 9 What does the worker gain from his toil? 
10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men.
11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 
12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 
13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God. 
14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men        will revere him.

My controlling ways were ultimately a distrust in the plans God had for me. I was going to do it my way, which is not the way to finding yourself.


I had to learn this truth; that the one who created me knows me the best. The way to finding myself was the way of losing myself. I had to learn this the hard way, and with great cost. 


I think of the many times I've heard it said; if only I had listened to wise instruction, or listened to my parents as I grew older... or if only I knew then, what I know now. Truth is, I did know enough to see where changes were needed. I just refused to obey.

So today I follow the divine design of my creator God. He instructs me and tells me to take the time to go outside and play, to laugh, to love, and to share my life- and most importantly, to rest in Him. 


It's really not that hard, if I remember the command, to love others as Christ loves me. It's just not all about me.

How about you? Has it been too long since you played with your kids, ate a hot dog all messy and just let it drip on your shirt or walked the dog who worships your every move. 


Do you give love freely? Just now my husband jumped up spontaneously and grabbed me to dance to one our favorite Van 
Morrison songs. 


What inspires you?  Do you wake up and spend time alone with God, or in the evening watching the sun set. When was the last time you ended your day down on your knees, praying for your family and friends? 

Oh, loved ones. I know how miserable it is to live inside the walls. So I ask with honest care and concern. What's blocking your life from a life that flows? What dams have you built up to control your life? 


You know it will break down, for you weren't made to carry the heavy burden alone. The dam will break and over flow, leaving you, and those close to you, with only the remains of rubble, and trouble. 

Listen as I say this again, life is hard, yes, but it doesn't have to be as hard as we make it. 


Let go. Live in God. Life can be good and you know it, for your heart beats in the secret place with a plan and a purpose- placed inside of you long ago. 


So go, and get outside of your own self, and let God lead you to the life He designed; a life of love and laughter. 








No comments:

Post a Comment